As a pipefitter helper you will assist journeyman in the planning, lay-out, installation, testing and repair all types of piping systems in accordance with all applicable plans, specifications, codes and industry standards.
Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
- Use appropriate hand and power tools to fit and install all types of pipes and/or similar tubular products.
- Assist in the installation of all types of piping, including high pressure piping, valves, couplings, and other fittings.
- Cut or drill holes in walls to permit passage of pipes.
- Select specified type and size of pipe.
- Mount pipe hangers and brackets on walls and ceilings to hold pipes.
- May disassemble and remove damaged or worn pipe.
- Load, transport, unload, and furnish experienced craft workers with materials, tools, equipment and supplies.
- Clean work area and restock supplies and materials as necessary.
- Assist in lifting, positioning, and securing materials and work pieces during installation.
- Perform minor maintenance or cleaning activities of craft worker's tools and equipment.
- Perform any other routine duties as directed by experienced craft workers.
- Minimum high school education or General Education Degree.
- Experience working in the Pipefitter, Pipe Welder or similar craft as a helper or laborer, and a basic knowledge of the pipe craft.
- Developing knowledge of pipefitting techniques and methods for different types of piping systems (i.e. carbon steel, stainless steel, PVC, poly, copper, and various high pressure/temperature alloys) and pipe coupling systems (i.e. butt welded, socket welded, threaded, Victaulic, grooved, glued and fused joints).
- Ability to understand and follow directions. In addition, must have all necessary tools/
- Ability to prioritize and maintain strong attention to detail.
- Basic communication skills (verbal & written) and working knowledge of English.
- Team player.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health & Safety Act and safe work practices.