Full job description
- DEPT OF ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION
- Exam May Be Required
The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) enriches the environment and protects public health for all New Yorkers by providing 1.1 billion gallons of high-quality drinking water, managing wastewater and storm water, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. DEP's water supply system is comprised of 19 reservoirs and 3 controlled lakes throughout the system’s 2,000 square mile watershed that extends 125 miles north and west of the City.
The Division of Distribution Operations role in the Bureau of Water and Sewer Operations is to ensure that potable water is delivered at the appropriate pressure and volume to consumers throughout the five boroughs. The Bureau of Water & Sewer Operations (BWSO) seeks to hire two (2) Plumber’s Helpers, for the Division of Distribution Operations, Shaft Maintenance, located in Brooklyn, NY The Plumber’s Helpers will ensure that all the plumbing equipment is operating properly by assisting plumbers in the operation, maintenance and repair of water supply equipment including valves, gears, and piping and other operating infrastructure located in the shaft chambers along City Tunnels 1, 2, and 3, and other water supply infrastructure as directed.
DUTIES WILL INCLUDE BUT NOT BE LIMITED TO:
- Operate a motor vehicle, setup/stock/replace tools and equipment, carry tools and equipment into work areas, shafts, and chambers. Open and access shafts, descend and ascend ladderways, and setup work zones. Assist on the investigation, maintenance, and repair of equipment/piping and utilize hand tools, power tools, and pumps as directed to complete tasks.
- Assist with the maintenance and repairs on water lines, install, replace, repair valves and water control devices. Operate Riser Valve control equipment, turbine valves, and gate valves. Assist with security inspections, and weather response events. Perform related work.
- Plumber's Helpers, under direct supervision, assist plumbers in the installation, maintenance and repair of piping and tubing for water, gas, waste, soil, fuel and vent lines. They assist plumbers in the installation of plumbing fixtures, including tanks, sprinklers and fire suppression systems; carry tools, working materials and equipment, and prepare set-up at work locations; move heavy valves, piping and fixtures; cut, drill or otherwise prepare openings as may be necessary for installation, maintenance or repair of plumbing pipes or fixtures; use acetylene torches; cut and thread pipe with hand or electrically operated tools; clean-up work areas; and operate a motor vehicle. All Plumber's Helpers perform related work.
Some of the physical activities performed by Plumber's Helpers and environmental conditions experienced are: communicating orally in a noisy environment; working in extreme temperature conditions (hot or cold); climbing stairs, ladders, scaffolds and over equipment; walking over wet and slippery surfaces; carrying heavy objects such as tool boxes, pipe, and bags of pipe fittings; working in close spaces; and working in the vicinity of bio-hazards. Working outdoors in inclement or extreme weather.
***ALL CANDIDATES MUST EITHER BE PERMANENT IN THE TITLE OF PLUMBER’S HELPER, OR MUST HAVE FILED FOR THE CIVIL SERVICE EXAM# 2088 FOR PLUMBER’S HELPER***
**Candidates selected to fill a Plumber’s Helper position from this posting will be appointed on a provisional basis. As a provisional employee, you will be required to take and pass exam# 2088 and be given a list number by the NYC Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services in order to be considered for probable permanent employment in this title. Anyone who does not take and pass this examination, or who is not reached on the established list, will be terminated as a provisional Plumber’s Helper.
1. Three years of full-time satisfactory experience as a plumber's helper or apprentice plumber or;
2. Not less than one year of experience as described in "1" above plus sufficient plumbing training of a relevant nature acquired in an approved trade school, technical school or vocational high school to make up the equivalent of three years of acceptable plumber's helper or apprentice plumber experience. The apprenticeship must be recognized by the New York State Department of Labor, the U.S. Department of Labor or any apprenticeship council which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Labor. The schooling must be approved by a state's Department of Education or a recognized accrediting organization. Each year of approved, relevant training is equivalent to six months of full-time satisfactory plumber's helper or apprentice plumber experience, up to a maximum of two years of satisfactory experience.
1. A Motor Vehicle Driver’s License valid in the state of New York. This license must be maintained for the duration of employment. 2. A plumber’s helper who possesses a strong mechanical aptitude and positive attitude.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
- Experience Level:
Building Operations & Maintenance