Reports to: Sr. Director of Facilities Hours/Week: 40
Hudson River Park Trust (HRPT), seeks to fill a Maintenance Plumbing Technician position in its Facilities Department. The qualified individual will have a minimum of 4 years’ experience in facilities and equipment maintenance, inspection and repair, with a background in plumbing. The position pays a competitive salary commensurate with level of experience and training and offers excellent benefits.
The Maintenance Plumbing Technician will work directly with, and report to, the Director of Facilities. The Director of Facilities is responsible for the daily oversight of infrastructure management and systems based maintenance activities within the park.
The overall purpose of this position is to provide the daily “hands-on” physical labor required to keep all park areas and structures in a safe and operable condition. The employee must be able to execute tasks in all types of weather conditions for long periods of time. Overtime, evening and weekend shift and holiday work will be required as a condition of employment. Supervisory responsibilities will be required on occasion.
A successful candidate for this job should have knowledge of plumbing and general building mechanical systems. The individual should be well organized, have a proactive work ethic, exhibit professionalism and have the ability to conduct themselves professionally as a representative of HRPT.
The Trust is a public benefit corporation created by act of the New York State Legislature and a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. The mission of the Trust is to construct, maintain and operate a prominent, and very heavily used, four mile long waterfront park on the west side of Manhattan. The Park features landscaped public piers and display gardens, lawn areas, ecological planting zones, athletic fields, esplanades, docks, public sculptures and other special features. There are, in addition, commercial use and Park maintenance structures including concessions, rental buildings and the 15.4 acre, Pier 40 which houses a large parking garage and the administrative and operating headquarters of the Trust. The Trust covers its $28+ million annual operating budget through parking revenue, rents from commercial facilities, permits, fees, grants, donations generated by a “Friends” organization and other private sources. Currently, the Trust is in design and/or construction and is on its way towards completing all the public space in the park. This has been accomplished with a mix of State, City, Federal and private funding.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Complete work orders and daily tasks as assigned; track time, resources and materials used on a daily basis; complete reports and make notifications in line with HRPT policies and procedures. The position will require the use of HRPT’s Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMSS) Cartegraph system.
· Install and make repairs to various piping systems throughout the park, including domestic water, waste and storm water, irrigation systems and gas using various types of pipe and tubing including galvanized and black iron, cast iron, copper, PVC etc.
· Install and replace as needed plumbing fixtures including tank and tankless toilets, sinks and lavatories, urinals, flushometers, faucets, drinking fountains, display fountains and other plumbing equipment.
· Be proficient in the use of all plumbing tools including but not limited to pipe cutting, threading and bending equipment, plumbing snakes, brazing and soldering equipment, pipe wrenches and vices.
· Service and repair various heating systems and components including boilers, hot water heaters, furnaces and circulator pumps.
· Repair and replaces pumps as needed.
· Participate in the inspection and testing of all parkwide plumbing related equipment.
· Participate in the winterization of buildings, fountains and underground piping systems.
· Use proper personal protective equipment (PPE) such as face masks, protective gloves, hard hats and goggles, etc.
· Safely operate tools and equipment in compliance with all federal, state, and local safety requirements, including, but not limited to: trucks, off road vehicles (standard and automatic transmissions), specialized equipment (sweeper/scrubber, wheel loader, skid steer loader, etc.), small power equipment (generators, compactors, mixers, drills, saws, torches, pumps, vacuums etc.), hand tools (wrenches, hammers, floats, etc.), hydraulic and pneumatic systems, controls and tools.
· Be proficient in written and verbal communication and be able to communicate with immediate supervisor and other staff effectively in line with HRPT policies and procedures.
· Perform other duties as directed or required commensurate with need and incumbent’s level of skill which may include: inspection and repair of life safety systems, electrical and mechanical equipment, pavement, wood structures, and site furnishings; snow and ice removal; set-up and break-down of special events as needed.
Education & Experience:
High School Diploma or GED and 4 years relevant work experience required. Certificates and/or degrees from an accredited technical training institution are preferred.
· Candidates with like experience in parks and public space operations and maintenance of site and building systems or possess certifications in various trades as required by law, are preferred.
· Candidates must be proficient with computer use.
· A valid driver’s license with a clean history is required and candidates with a CDL are preferred.
· Willingness and ability to perform physical labor by lifting objects weighing at least 50 pounds consistently, squatting, bending, etc. are required, both indoors and outdoors in all types of weather.
· Be available for “stand-by” work on a predetermined basis or as emergency response.
· Be available to work on some holidays.
· Work schedule may include evenings and/or weekends.
· Ability to interact with the public in a polite, friendly and informative manner.
· Use of proper protective equipment so as to be in compliance with OSHA safety requirements
Compensation / Benefits:
Competitive salary of $28.85 hourly ($60,000 annually) and excellent benefits package including paid holidays, vacation time, sick and personal time, medical, dental and vision insurance, and participation in New York State Retirement System. The position is covered under a collective bargaining agreement between HRPT and Local 30 of the International Union of Operating Engineers, AFL-CIO.
Interested applicants are to submit a resume to the email address indicated. Please list Job Code: 2020 Facilities Plumber in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls please.
The Hudson River Park Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988.
More information on the Hudson River Park is available at:
The Hudson River Park Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
- Plumbing: 4 years (Preferred)
- Driver’s License (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Tuition reimbursement
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
|Job Category||Oil & Gas, Plumbing|