SUMMARY:This position is responsible for installing and repairing pipes, fittings and fixtures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Studies building plans and working drawings to determine work aids required and sequenced of installations.
- Inspects structure to ascertain obstructions to be avoided to prevent weakening of structure resulting from installation of pipe.
- Locates and marks position of pipe and pipe connections and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors, using ruler, spirit level and plumb bob.
- Cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings, using hand tools and power tools.
- Cuts and threads pipe, using pipe cutters, cutting torch, and pipe-threading machine. Bends pipe to required angle by use of various tools.
- Performs the maintenance, repair and installation of plumbing fixtures, components and systems to include steam systems, fuel systems, water distribution systems and sewage collection systems, including the performance of check and services of valves, traps, filters, pumps, hydraulic flow meters, lift stations, and other assorted equipment.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:Minimum requirements for this position include a High School Diploma or equivalent GEDplus a minimum of four (4) years’ experience as a journey level plumber. Licensed with the Georgia Secretary of State Licensing Board or equivalent. Must be able to obtain security clearance for use of government computer. A valid Georgia Driver’s License and ability to maintain military gate pass access are required.
CRITICAL FACTORS FOR SUCCESS:
- Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair plumbing pipes and fixtures.
- Knowledge of safety procedures.
- Skill in motor coordination and manual dexterity.
- Skill in establishing priorities and organizing work.
- Skill in public and interpersonal relations.
- Skill in oral and written communications.
COMMMUNICATION SKILLS:Must have the ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, managers and staff members. Ability to write reports. Must have the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, fellow employees and customers. Ability to oversee the work of others.
REASONING ABILITY:Must be able to read and interpret various information to ensure procedures are followed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS :The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee may occasionally be required to lift more than 75 pounds. The employee must have close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT :Work environment will require on-call rotation. The employee may be exposed to noise, dirt, dust, grease, machinery with moving parts, irritating chemicals, and occasional cold, heat, and inclement weather. The work may require the use of protective devices, such as respirators, masks, goggles, and/or gloves.