|Date Posted||June 13, 2018|
Position Open: June 12, 2018
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Plumbing Designer in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will perform plumbing design services on multi-discipline building design projects of small to large scope for commercial and government facilities.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Preparation, technical accuracy and coordination of programming documents, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents as directed
- Performing various design services as a Plumbing Designer, including Conceptual Studies, Program Requirements, Design Analyses, Calculations, System selection and layout for building design with minimal direction from supervising mechanical staff.
- Providing oversight and coordination of projects, and working with assigned design managers and project managers, to meet client’s budget, contract fees, goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Coordinating and communicating all aspects of mechanical design within multi-disciplinary teams as requested by the Design Manager or Project Engineer.
- Performing duties associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and responding to RFI’s
- Performing duties associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings as directed
- Writing basis of design narratives and preparing technical reports
- Complying with the company’s quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from the department director, project managers, managing principals, operations directors and senior management.
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Senior Plumbing Designer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Drafting of marked-up plans, partial plans, sections, details
- Completing details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Engineer
- Create schematic-level plans and details for approval by the Project Engineer
- Developing an accurate, three-dimensional model of the plumbing systems with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement
- Develop design options for resolution of system conflicts
- Assist with building systems calculations and LEED templates
- Participate in building system selections
- Participate in building code analysis process
- Participate in development of discipline specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Have earned a high school diploma, or equivalent.
- An Associate’s Degree in a field of study related to drafting and design; or
- A four-year undergraduate degree in a field of study related to mechanical engineering
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD) certification from ASPE is desirable
- Active participation in plumbing related organizations such as ASPE is desirable
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices and accreditations such as LEED Green Associate and LEED Accredited Professional are desirable.
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are desirable
A Plumbing Designer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, and information management through the Windows Operating System and Microsoft Office suite.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
Coursework completed in AutoCAD, Microstation and/or BIM software packages from a technical or vocational school is desirable.
A Plumbing Designer should typically have 8 years or more of significant A/E consulting experience as a CAD or BIM Technician, Designer or Senior Designer working under the supervision and guidance of a licensed Mechanical Engineer (PE).
Design or construction experience in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make effective presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole