|Date Posted||April 3, 2018|
Position Open: April 2, 2018
Position Close: Until filled
Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen Inc. without employer sponsorship. We do not typically sponsor H-1B or any other work visa petitions.
Must apply online through corporate website at www.clarknexsen.com.
Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals.
Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work.
Generous benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Paid Time Off, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
We seek to hire a Plumbing Engineer PE in our Virginia Beach, VA office who will be responsible for performing, directing and supervising all aspects of plumbing engineering, including but not limited to domestic water systems, storm and sanitary waste systems, compressed air, and natural gas systems on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope for commercial and government facilities.
General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of plumbing engineering design as a Plumbing Engineer, including Conceptual Studies, Program Requirements, Design Analyses, Calculations, Equipment selection and layout, and System selection and layout
- Meeting with clients to prepare and/or validate proposed scope of services
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Directing and leading the work of EI/EITs and designers assigned to the project, particularly where engineering judgment on the part of the EI/EIT/designer is exercised and unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Obtain guidance from Senior Engineers and the Department Head as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Ensuring staff compliance with the Company’s quality control policies and procedures
- Providing and leading plumbing support services during the bidding process, i.e., preparing addenda and amendments as required
- Performing and leading plumbing construction phase services including representing the firm on-site, answering RFI’s, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings.
- Writing basis of design narratives and preparing technical reports
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from project managers, Managing Principals, Design Principals, Operations Directors, and Senior Management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participating in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, leading, and training junior plumbing staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior plumbing staff
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with Senior Mechanical Engineer tasks as directed
- Serve in the role of Design Manager on projects as assigned
- Preparing scope and fee proposals for the mechanical portion of multi-discipline projects or single-discipline, mechanical-only projects
- Conduct project code analysis for review by the Senior Mechanical Engineer
- Selection and layout of the building plumbing systems, including consideration of alternative systems
- Preparing accurate, complete, and code-compliant drawings and specifications for schematic, design development, and construction document submittals.
- Develop details of building system components
- Reviewing calculations and all work products produced by EI/EITs and designers assigned to the project
- Reviewing all drawings produced by technicians assigned to the project
- Develop discipline specifications for review by the Senior Engineer
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Incorporate responses to QC comments into the project documents
- Assist in responding to RFI’s, client comments, etc.
- Review and respond to CA submittals
- Perform discipline QA/QC review on assigned projects
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
- Graduate of an ABET-accredited 4-, 5-, or 6-year engineering program in one of the following disciplines:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Architectural Engineering
- Architectural Engineering Technology
- Post graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Engineering will be given additional consideration
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must be a fully licensed Professional Engineer in at least one US state, preferably in the local jurisdiction
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED Green Associate or Accredited Professional accreditation preferred
- Certified in Plumbing Design (CPD) certification from ASPE is desirable
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are desirable
- Active participation in NSPE, ASPE, or other related professional organizations is desirable
A Plumbing Engineer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word processing, e-mail, accounting, and information management through the Windows Operating System and Microsoft Office Suite.
Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to understand the capabilities and limitations of the programs and interact with the support staff in their use of the software is highly desirable.
A Plumbing Engineer should typically have 4 years or more of significant design and practice experience with a Mechanical Engineering firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm with substantial knowledge of applicable mechanical, plumbing, and energy codes and standards.
Experience as a lead designer or Plumbing Engineer in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education, science/technology, or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
Experience with laboratory and good manufacturing practices (GMP) cleanroom plumbing design may be given additional consideration.
Other Criteria and Considerations
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents and correspondence
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a can-do attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole